What does my child need to enroll in Cleveland County Schools?

New students or incoming kindergartners who reside in the Cleveland County School District should present an official birth certificate (not the hospital's record of birth), and a certificate showing that the student has received the required immunizations. Transferring students should also provide a transcript or report card from the previous school year, to document grade placement. Kindergartners should pass a physical examination - a physician's signature is required on a form provided by the school system. Kindergartners must be 5 years old on or before the first day of school of the year they will enter school (Click here to view the calendar for to confirm the first day of school). If a child is homeless or is identified as being homeless, he or she shall be immediately enrolled in and allowed to attend school, even if the child or his or her parents cannot produce such records.

In addition, parents must show proof of residency (lease or real estate document, power bill, etc.).

Click here to download the Proof of Residence Verification Form - English
Click here to download the Proof of Residence Verification Form - Spanish

Cleveland County Schools cannot and will not refuse to enroll any student based on his or her immigration status of the status of his or her parent.

What immunizations are required to enter school?

North Carolina law requires every child to be immunized against diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough, polio, red measles (rubeola), rubella and (German measles). Children under 5 must be immunized against Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib), and a Hepatitis B vaccine is required for children born on or after July 1, 1994.

Out-of-District Transfers

How do I obtain a transfer for my child into Cleveland County Schools from a district outside of Cleveland County?

Parents must complete an Application for Change of Pupil Assignment Form available from the Central Administrative Office or any of our schools. A check for $1414 must be submitted with the application. Out-of-district students attending Cleveland County Schools will be assessed an annual tuition of $1414.

Parents must also obtain a formal release from the school system that the child is assigned. Although the superintendent may give temporary approval of the transfer request, final approval is granted by the Board of Education. The Board also will grant requests for transfer to other school systems if it feels a student's need can be better met elsewhere.

Applications for transfers to other school systems also are available at the Central Administrative Office or from any of our schools.