posted Nov 25, 2015, 6:57 AM by Greg Shull
updated Nov 25, 2015, 7:14 AM
The Cleveland County Schools Calendar Committee has developed a calendar for the 2017-2018 school year for consideration.
We would like for you to take a moment to tell us your thoughts about the proposed calendar. Before doing so, please review the following parameters from North Carolina's calendar law.
NC Calendar Law requires the following:
- The school calendar is composed of 215 days, including all planning days, holidays, & annual leave days.
- The instructional calendar can be either 185 days or 1,025 hours of instruction covering at least 9 months. Our schools have enough instructional hours to allow for a 180 day instructional calendar.
- School system employees are entitled to the same number of holidays as are given to other state employees, which is 11 for 2017-18 year. Veterans Day is the only required holiday.
- Employees are entitled to a minimum of 10 Annual Leave days. Annual Leave days can be put before, during, or after instructional days. It is not recommended that annual leave days be put at the beginning of school due to issues it creates with beginning teacher and lateral entry programs required by the state.
- The total number of workdays for teachers cannot exceed 195, so only 14 planning days can be designated. The first day for students will be the Monday closest to August 26.The last for students can be no later than the Friday closest to June 11.