Elementary students from Cleveland County Schools converged at Shelby High for the 12th Annual Fun Run. This year, 1,013 students participated in the races at Shelby High School where their family, schools staff and other supporters were there to cheer them on.
Students ran in both a half-mile and two-mile competitions sponsored by local elementary schools and the Cleveland County YMCA. Boy and girl winners were named from each grade in both events.
First-place overall winners in the two-mile run were Cameron Gales of Fallston Elementary and Damon Cook of Jefferson Elementary who posted the two best times for the event in their divisions – 11:44.6 and 12:54.4 – respectively.
The half-mile run top placements, by grade level, are as follows:
- Kindergarten: Millie Barbee of Jefferson Elementary with a time of 4.06 and Devin Hord of North Elementary with a time of 4.04
- First Grade: Avery Cruise of West Elementary with a time of 3.5 and Wyatt Leonhardt of Fallston with a time of 3.44
- Second Grade: Makenzie Sanders of Marion Elementary with a time of 3.42.66 and Brock Melton of Springmore Elementary with a time of 3.24
- Third Grade: Alexis Beaver of Fallston Elementary with a time of 3.42 and Romeo Sanders of Marion Elementary with a time of 3.22
- Fourth Grade: Brooke Waseman of East Elementary with a time of 3.18 and Tony Hawk of Jefferson Elementary with a time of 3.08
- Fifth Grade: Maggie Earl of Casar Elementary with a time of 3.31 and Santana London of Shelby Intermediate with a time of 3.17
This event was coordinated by Brian Bettis of Springmore Elementary and Tripp Roark of North Elementary schools.
See the full recap for the 2 Mile race here.
See the full recap for the 1/2 Mile race here.