Question: How is the calendar made for Cleveland County Schools?
Question: How do I get on the calendar committee?
Question: What are the rules for creating a school calendar in NC?
Answer: NC General Statute 115C-84.2 sets the rules for creating a school calendar. In a nutshell, the law requires the local board to adopt a school calendar consisting of 215 days all of which shall fall within the fiscal year. The law also says:
· The calendar must be 215 days total, including workdays, holidays, and annual leave.
· Instructional days can either be 185 days or 1,025 instructional hours. (Cleveland County Schools meets the 1,025 hour requirement in 180 instructional days, so 180-day calendars are proposed.)
· School system employees are entitled to the same number of holidays as are given to other state employees, which is 11 for 2016-2017 & 2017-2018.
· Employees are entitled to a minimum of 10 Annual Leave days.
· The total number of workdays for teachers cannot exceed 195, so 14 planning days can be designated.
· The first day for students can be no earlier than the Monday closest to August 26.
· The last day for students can be no later than the Friday closest to June 11.
Question: I thought school could start on August 25. It has in the past. What changed?
Question: Why does the 2017-2018 have so many workdays before students start and only 4 workdays during the school year? Wouldn’t it be better to distribute the days throughout the school year?
Answer: The start and end date requirements really “squeeze” the calendar for 2017-2018, because the earliest school can start is Monday, August 28 and the latest it can end is Friday, June 8. In order to meet the requirements for holidays and annual leave days, only 4 days can be designated as workdays during the school year. This means that 10 workdays have to be before or after students are in school. In short, the calendar committee is in agreement that it would be better to distribute the workdays throughout the school year, but due to calendar law requirements, only 4 can be included in the student calendar.
Question: Why did the calendar committee decide not to have 2 weeks at Christmas?
Question: There is such a long stretch between mid-January and the end of March with no break. Why didn’t the committee put a workday or holiday during this time?
Question: Why did the committee work on the school calendar for 2017-2018. Is there a proposed 2016-2017 calendar for next year?
Question: Why are we off March 23 and then again March 30? Why not eliminate March 23 and put a workday in February or at Christmas?
Question: Why is our calendar different from the counties around us? Some have 2 weeks at Christmas.
Question: If state law changes and districts are given more calendar flexibility, what will happen to our calendars that the board has already approved?
Calendar of Events >